Friday, June 15, 2012

"Cotton Candy" Paper Carnation Flower Tutorial

Hi scrappers! I have a flower tutorial for you today -- cotton candy carnations! My mom thought the pastel ones I made here looked like cotton candy, so I decided to keep that name :)


This is a really easy flower to make and doesn't take a whole lot of skill. So let's get started!

What you will need:

  • Cardstock
  • Water in a spray bottle
  • Paper piercer/small hole punch
  • Brad
  • Scallop circle punch
First, cut out 8 scallop circles with your punch. Ink the edges if desired.


Next, lightly spritz all eight circles with water. Do not fully saturate the circles. If you are using thinner paper, you will need very little water.


Now take each circle and crumple it up into a little ball.


Carefully un-crumple all the circles. They are wet so they will tear if you are not careful. You should have eight damp wrinkly scallop circles now.



This step is optional. If you are impatient like me, you can use a heat tool to dry the circles.


Now, stack one circle on top of the other until all circles have been stacked. Find the center of the top circle and pierce/punch a small hole through all eight layers.


Next put your brad through the hole and fasten it to the bottom of the stack.


This is the most time-consuming part. Separate the top layer and pretend there is a pencil sticking through the center of the stack and wrap the layer around the "invisible pencil." Really crumple it tightly!


Continue doing the same thing with the remaining 7 layers.



Now gently use the tips of your fingers to fan out the different layers gently until you get the fluffy appearance, or whatever shape you prefer.


And here you have your finished carnation! Another optional step is to Glimmer Mist (or any shimmer spray you like to use) the carnation (second photo -- the Glimmer Mist looks overkill thanks to the bright flash on my camera!).



I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and found it easy to understand! I have a video tutorial on my YouTube channel located at http://www.youtube.com/theElegantCriminal


I have this type of flower available in my Zibbet shop located here: http://www.zibbet.com/kinetickatie

Thanks for stopping by, don't forget to leave a comment! :)

3 comments:

  1. oooooo lovely scrappy flowers!! They are just awesome...well done! Hugs Kimi xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial!! Looks like something I could do. Thanks for giving such great directions and pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! They make my day!